Positive discipline helps families effectively solve problems while strengthening relationships
and helping children take responsibility and learn life skills.
Positive Discipline parenting tools teach valuable social and life skills without using any form of punishment, rewards, praise, or permissiveness. Instead, parents learn how to use discipline that:
- is kind and firm
- creates connection before correction
- is empowering and encouraging
- helps children to believe in their own capability, and
- keeps the joy in parenting
Positive Discipline is based on the work of Alfred Adler (1870-1937) and Rudolph Dreikurs (1897-1972) – both Austrian psychiatrists. Positive Discipline and its experiential workshops came about in the 1980s through the work of two women: Dr Jane Nelson and Lynn Lott.
The Positive Discipline Parenting Workshop provides parents with the tools they need to help their children develop self-discipline, cooperation and problem-solving skills. During the course of the workshop, parents will learn:
- how to reduce power struggles while creating an environment of cooperation and mutual respect
- how to raise children that are responsible, respectful and resourceful
- how to use kindness and firmness to create discipline that teaches rather than punishes
- the motive behind a child’s misbehavior and effective tools & solutions to reduce misbehavior
Positive Discipline workshops are different from other parenting workshops in that an environment is created where parents can “learn by doing”. No lectures at this workshop! Parents have an opportunity to see, feel and think about their parenting world in a new way. Experiential learning allows participants to incorporate new ideas and change behaviors that are not possible in other teaching styles. This eight session workshop creates long-term support and weekly opportunities for learning and practicing.
- a total of 16 hours of workshop sessions for 4-10 participants
- presented in 2-hour sessions over a period of 8 weeks or
- presented over 2 Saturdays from 9-5 with an hour break
Price: The price of the workshop includes positive discipline tool cards
- One parent – $200 plus HST
- Both parents – $375 plus HST
Facilitated by: Hilary Diouf – BA Social Care – certified Positive Discipline parent educator
- Classes begin on Tuesday, September 18th, 2018
- Running weekly until November 6th, 2018
- Sessions will be held from 7pm to 9pm
Call our office to register and secure your spot.